Police Officer Is Arrested in Stabbing : Violence: An off-duty Orange sergeant is suspected of attacking his roommate during a fight in their Hollywood apartment, authorities say. The 18-year veteran also sustained injuries.


An off-duty Orange police sergeant was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after he allegedly stabbed his roommate during a fight at their Hollywood apartment, authorities said Monday.

Sgt. Paul S. Gibbs, 42, was arrested Sunday morning in an apartment he has shared with a 32-year-old man for about nine months, Los Angeles Police Department detectives said.

The roommate, William Ray, was taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center after the 1:30 a.m. incident. Ray, a clerk at Cedars-Sinai, was listed in fair condition, said Detective Mike McDonagh of the LAPD Hollywood Division.

Ray underwent surgery Monday afternoon for a punctured left lung and numerous other stab wounds to the upper body. Detectives have not been able to interview him, McDonagh said.


Gibbs, an 18-year veteran who helps supervise the Orange Police Department’s motorcycle patrol officers, suffered unspecified injuries during the fight. He was arrested without incident at the apartment in the 7900 block of Selma Avenue, McDonagh said. He was booked into the jail ward at County-USC Medical Center, where he was listed in stable condition, a hospital spokesman said.

Bail was set at $500,000, with arraignment scheduled today.

Gibbs told police the argument began Saturday night in a bar and resumed at home when he told Ray he was going to end their relationship, according to a police report.

Gibbs said that Ray hit him, according to the police report. Gibbs said he then drew his pocket knife for protection. Gibbs said he didn’t use the weapon until Ray stabbed him first in the left arm with another knife, according to the report.


“They just apparently have been roommates for some time, and we’re not really sure what led to the violence,” McDonagh said.

Neighbors told police the fight lasted only a few minutes. McDonagh said Ray called police, who found him bleeding in bed.

After the fight, Gibbs apparently ran from the apartment but returned before police arrived, McDonagh said. Gibbs told detectives that he has fought with Ray in the past, but police have no report of being called to the apartment before, McDonagh said.

The apartment manager described Gibbs and Ray as “fine tenants.”

“That’s the first time I’ve had anything like that with them or anyone else,” said the manager, who declined to give her name.

The Orange Police Department placed Gibbs on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an internal investigation, said Police Chief John R. Robertson.

“People around here are shocked,” Robertson said. “Certainly, this is unusual. It is unfortunate, and we’re not going to prejudge it until all the facts are in.”

Times staff writer Elaine Tassy contributed to this report.