Canada Beckons With Bargains
American travelers who visit Canada not only benefit from the favorable rate of exchange for the U.S. dollar, but many Canadian hotels are now offering senior discounts. This is a list of participating Toronto area lodgings.
Rates shown are in U.S. dollars after the discount and are for two people sharing a room unless otherwise noted.
* Embassy Suites--Two-room suites with coffee maker and refrigerator. Includes daily made-to-order breakfast and evening beverage reception. Age minimum: 60. $67 per day; regular rates $140; telephone: (800) 668-8800.
Beaches Bed and Breakfast, in the suburbs, operated by “Enid” from England. Rates for seniors over age 65 reduced 15% to range from $37 to $44 per night; tel. (416) 699-0818.
* Executive Inn, downtown Toronto. Several categories of guest rooms. Rates vary with season. Double with one bed $57, executive suite $66.50 during summer season June 16 to Sept. 15, less expensive at other times. Includes morning coffee or tea, doughnuts and newspaper; tel. (416) 362-7441.
* Holiday Inn--three miles from Toronto Airport. Seniors over 65 pay $65 per day, a $21.50 saving from regular rate; tel. (416) 621-2121.
Monte Carlo Inn, 20 minutes from downtown Toronto. Room with two queen size beds $52, 20% off regular rate. Includes buffet breakfast; tel. (800) 363-6400.
Park Plaza Hotel, midtown Toronto. Senior bed and breakfast special $78.60 per night for two includes full breakfast; tel. (800) 268-4927.
* Hotel Plaza II, at the intersection of Toronto’s two main streets. Seniors over age 60 regular rate $113 for two reduced to $82 Monday through Thursday. Weekend rates $67.30; tel. (800) 267-6116.
Toronto Airport East Quality Hotel--Seniors over age 55 get a 30% discount, $56 room for $42 which includes complimentary morning coffee, newspaper, local calls and fresh fruit; tel. (800) 228-5151.
* Ramada Hotel/Airport West package for age 65 plus includes overnight room or mini-suite, $15 credit for restaurant or room service, cheese and fruit plate plus bottle of champagne on arrival. $97.50 for two; tel. (800) 737-3211.
* Roehampton Hotel, downtown Toronto. Package includes room for two persons over age 55, continental breakfast, local calls and “Stay and Play” discount card valid at 25 nearby stores, restaurants and entertainment. From $49 for two persons. Weekend stay includes a free local rail pass for all day Sunday; tel. (800) 387-8899.
Since Toronto is adjacent to Lake Ontario there is a selection of boat and yacht tours and cruises as well as fishing charters. Also, an easy day trip to nearby Niagara Falls is the Ontario “wine route” through beautiful countryside where after three years there are now 22 wineries open for tours and wine tastings.
Readers who would like to know more about events in the Toronto area can request a free copy of the illustrated and colorful Metropolitan Visitors Guide, which includes maps, a calendar of events, tours and additional information on lodgings, college residences and dormitories. A separate guide listing shopping and dining is also available at no charge. Call (800) 363-1990.