Advertisement

Boy, 15, Becomes Fifth Santa Ana Homicide Victim in Week : Violence: Anaheim youth is shot in the head while standing on a sidewalk. Eleven have been killed in the city this month, six in gang-related cases, police say.

TIMES STAFF WRITER

A 15-year-old boy who was fatally shot early Monday while standing on a sidewalk on Bristol Street became the city’s third homicide victim in as many days and the fifth in a week, Santa Ana police said.

Juan Carlos Lopez of Anaheim was shot once in the head just after midnight near the intersection of Bristol and Carlton Place, according to Police Sgt. Bob Clark. The boy was unconscious when officers arrived and was taken to UCI Medical Center, where he died at 11 a.m., a hospital spokeswoman said.

The shooting is being investigated by the department’s gang unit. Police had not established a motive, and no one has been arrested, Clark said.

Over the weekend two men were killed, one shot at a party attended by more than 100 guests. The other was slain while attempting to disarm an angry suitor.

Advertisement

Last week, two teen-agers died in separate shootings that police say are gang-related.

So far this month, six of Santa Ana’s 11 homicides were gang-related, according to police.

“Although the numbers are looking pretty high at this point, we don’t view this as some type of exerted efforts on the part of the gangs,” Clark said.

In an unrelated incident, a Santa Ana man with past ties to a gang was driving on Bear Street at Paularino Avenue in Costa Mesa about 10 a.m Sunday when a passenger in another vehicle opened fire at him, according to police.

Advertisement

Raphael Ramos, 24, suffered a gunshot wound in the left shoulder and was treated at Coastal Communities Hospital, police said.

A 17-year-old passenger in Ramos’ vehicle was not injured.

No one was arrested in connection with that shooting.


Advertisement
Advertisement