OXNARD : Shooting Victim Sees No Charges for Judy

Oxnard school board member Fred Judy will not be charged in a shooting outside an Oxnard bar earlier this year, the victim and his attorney said Monday.

Donald William Jones, who told police that Judy shot him in the neck in the January incident, said prosecutors have told him that Judy will go uncharged.

"They said they are unable to prove that he shot me with intent," Jones said.

Officials with the Ventura County district attorney's office have yet to say what they plan to do, nearly eight months after the shooting.

"We haven't publicly stated a decision," Chief Deputy Dist. Atty. Kevin J. McGee said. "We are still examining the matter."

Oxnard police arrested Judy, 55, on Jan. 28 after Jones was shot outside The Shores restaurant and bar on Harbor Boulevard. Jones said Judy shot him after the two argued inside the bar.

But police released Judy two days later, saying they lacked enough evidence to charge him. They turned the investigation over to the district attorney's office.

"It has been a long time, and I think it's apparent the D.A. is not going to charge [Judy]," said Joe Lax, Jones' attorney.

Lax is representing Jones, 56, on an unrelated gun charge.

Jones was arrested last December and charged with carrying a concealed weapon and resisting arrest. He has pleaded not guilty to the two misdemeanor charges and his criminal trial is scheduled to start Monday.

Jones said he and Judy were regulars at the bar but not close friends. He said the fight started after Jones interceded in an argument between Judy and a female friend of Jones' in the bar. Both men had been drinking, and the shooting occurred shortly after last call at 2 a.m.

Judy could not be reached for comment.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
67°