No major artists in Orange County? Well, here's a show that aims to prove that some well-known folks indeed did live or work here once--and that a few still are with us. "From Behind the Orange Curtain" includes work by 21 artists. Among the true luminaries are Chris Burden, John McCracken, John McLaughlin and Vija Celmins. Others of note include Tony Delap, Kim Abeles, Deborah Brown, Carole Caroompas, Craig Kauffman and Fred Tomeselli.
* What: "From Behind the Orange Curtain."
* When: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday; noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, through Dec. 31.
* Where: Muckenthaler Cultural Center, 1201 W. Malvern Ave., Fullerton.
* Whereabouts: From the Orange (57) Freeway, get off at Chapman Avenue and head west. Bear right at Malvern Avenue and turn right at Buena Vista Drive to reach the center's parking lot.
* Wherewithal: General admission, $2; students and seniors, $1; free for ages 12 and under.
* Where to call: (714) 738-6595.
The story goes that Brahms looked at the score of Dvorak's Cello Concerto and then muttered: "Why on earth didn't I know that one could write a violoncello concerto like this? If I had only known, I would have written one long ago!" Superstar Yo-Yo Ma will play the Dvorak piece tonight with the Pacific Symphony, conducted by Carl St.Clair, on a program that also includes Dvorak's "Carnival" Overture and the Prelude and Liebestod from Wagner's "Tristan und Isolde."
* Who: Yo-Yo Ma and the Pacific Symphony.
* When: Today, 8 p.m.
* Where: The Orange County Performing Arts Center, 600 Town Center Drive, Costa Mesa.
* Whereabouts: San Diego (405) Freeway to the Bristol Avenue exit north. Turn right from Bristol onto Town Center Drive.
* Wherewithal: $15 to $43.
* Where to call: (714) 755-5799.
The BoDeans made their biggest splash with their debut album in 1986: "Love & Hope & Sex & Dreams" positioned them as young torch-bearers for the heartland rock tradition that can be traced from Springsteen, Petty and Seger back to Del Shannon and Buddy Holly. Since then, the band from Waukesha, Wis., has gone about its business productively. Its new, live, two-disc "Joe Dirt Car" serves as a good overview of the oeuvre and testament to the onstage impact of this good-singing, good-playing band.
* Who: The BoDeans.
* When: Today, 8 p.m.
* Where: The Coach House, 33157 Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano.
* Whereabouts: Take the San Diego (5) Freeway to the San Juan Creek Road exit and turn left onto Camino Capistrano. The Coach House is in the Esplanade Plaza.
* Wherewithal: $18.50.
* Where to call: (714) 496-8930.
Academia's furrowed brow should give way to a cheerier expression on Saturday when Cal State Fullerton hosts the Titan Familyfest. Things will get underway at 10 a.m. with the Chalk-a-Lot: For $5 (to benefit the campus art gallery), you'll get to work alongside professional artists creating street paintings in colored chalk. The Chalk-a-Lot will continue till 5. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., you can throw a pot, watch a glass blower and other artisans at work and/or browse a children's bazaar with toys, books and games.
* What: The Titan Familyfest.
* When: Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Where: Cal State Fullerton, 800 N. State College Blvd., Fullerton.
* Whereabouts: Exit the Orange (57) Freeway at Nutwood, drive west, turn right onto State College Boulevard and then right into parking lot D.
* Wherewithal: FREE.
* Where to call: (714) 773-2086.