Hughes Aircraft Co. in Canoga Park won a $4-million research and development contract from the Army Space and Strategic Defense Command in Huntsville, Ala.
* Whittaker Corp. of North Hollywood won a $403,650 contract from Kelly Air Force Base in San Antonio to supply valves.
* WP Photographic Services of Ventura won a $381,016 contract from Fleet and Industrial Supply Center in San Diego for still photography services.
* Stevens Construction Inc. of Lancaster won a $289,000 contract from Ft. Irwin for property maintenance and repair services.
* Mendez Concrete Inc. of Santa Paula won a $205,730 contract from the Navy at Port Hueneme for building construction services.
* Aviance Group of Van Nuys won a $193,284 contract from Fleet and Industrial Supply Center in San Diego for equipment maintenance and repair services.
* Timothy J. Ferrie of Ojai has been awarded a contract for $189,051 by Ventura County to replace the bridge rails on Foothill Road at the Ellsworth Barranca and on Los Posas Road at the Revlon Slough. The work is scheduled to begin today and continue through Feb. 3.
* WMW Associates Inc. of Chatsworth won a $165,161 contract from McClellan Air Force Base near Sacramento to supply instruments and laboratory equipment.
* Tri-Build Development Corp. in Santa Monica has been awarded a $64,950 contract by Ventura County to clean out a debris basin in Real Canyon north of Piru. The job requires the removal and disposal of about 20,560 cubic yards of material to restore the capacity of the existing debris basin. The project is scheduled for completion Jan. 24.
* Burns-Pacific Construction Co. in Thousand Oaks has been awarded a $51,188 contract to clean out the Fox Barranca debris basin near Somis. The project calls for the removal and disposal of 4,250 cubic yards of material to restore the capacity of the existing debris basin. The work is scheduled for completion by Dec. 19.