Theodore Bikel is a multifaceted performer--stage, screen and television acting; folk singing; musical theater performance--Bikel has done them all.
Bikel, who is appearing this weekend at the University of Judaism, made his film debut in "The African Queen" in 1951. He has recorded 15 albums, beginning in 1955, mostly of folk songs.
In addition, he was Baron von Trapp in the original Broadway production of Rodgers and Hammerstein's "The Sound of Music" and the Hungarian linguist in the film version of Lerner and Loewe's "My Fair Lady."
But despite all that, Bikel is probably best remembered for his portrayal of Tevye in the Jerry Bock/Sheldon Harnick musical "Fiddler on the Roof," a role he has performed almost 2,000 times.
* Theodore Bikel performs at 8:30 p.m. Saturday, 2 and 7:30 p.m. Sunday, 8 p.m. Tuesday at the University of Judaism, 15600 Mulholland Drive. Tickets are $20-$25. Call (310) 476-9777.
HOLIDAYS: Music in the Mall
This weekend the Media City Center offers "Broadway Dreams--The Audition," a holiday musical revue of Broadway favorites performed by a 19-member cast.
Besides solo and group singing, the cast will perform ensemble dance numbers, plus your usual holiday classics. Produced by the Burbank Civic Light Opera.
* Burbank Civic Light Opera presents "Broadway Dreams--The Audition," at 7:30 p.m. Friday and 2 p.m. Saturday at the Media City Center, 201 E. Magnolia Blvd. Free. Call (818) 380-3444.
Harps in Harmony
The Sylvia Woods Harp Center in Glendale will hold its second annual "Christmas Carol Sing-Along and Harp Concert" on Sunday.
Attendees will be given their own booklet with carol lyrics to take home. Don Snyder will lead the singing to the accompaniment of harps. In addition, harpists Sylvia Woods, Deborah Friou and Paul Baker will perform solos.
* "Christmas Carol Sing-Along and Harp Concert" at 2 and 7 p.m. Sunday at Sylvia Woods Harp Center, 915 N. Glendale Ave., Glendale. Tickets are $17 advance, $19 at the door. Call (818) 956-1363.
Valley residents will have at least two opportunities to hear portions of Handel's "Messiah" this weekend.
The Pierce College Philharmonic Choir, Premiere Chorale and Orchestra presents its sixth annual "Messiah Festival and Festival Carols" on Saturday. For the first time, audience members are being encouraged to bring their own score of Handel's masterpiece to sing along with the ensemble.
Meanwhile, in Lancaster, the Antelope Valley Master Chorale will perform Handel's entire oratorio Saturday and Sunday.
The 80-voice ensemble will be accompanied by full orchestra. Four soloists--Deborah Mayhan, Alejandro Garri, Tod Fitzpatrick and Steve Dunham--will also be featured.
* Handel's "Messiah" at 8 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday at Antelope Valley College, 3041 W. Ave. K, Lancaster. Tickets are $12 general, $10 seniors, $6 youth under 18. Call (805) 943-3241, Ext. 587.
* "Messiah Festival and Festival of Carols" at 8 p.m. Saturday at Pierce College, 6201 Winnetka Ave., Woodland Hills. Tickets are $12 general, $10 seniors and students, $5 children under 12. Call (818) 753-3306.