* Tournament: Mercedes Championships.
* Site: Carlsbad.
* Course: La Costa Resort and Spa (7,022 yards, par 72).
* Purse: $1.2 million.
* Winner's share: $216,000.
* TV: ESPN (Today, 3:30-5:30 p.m.) and Channel 7 (Saturday, 3-4:30 p.m.; Sunday, 3-6 p.m.).
* Last year: Mark O'Meara closed with a 4-under 68 for a three-stroke victory over Nick Faldo and Scott Hoch. O'Meara had a 17-under 271 total.
* Notes: Greg Norman is the only eligible player not entered in the winners-only tournament. . . . Jack Nicklaus won the tournament five times from 1963-77. . . . Calvin Peete set the tournament record in 1986 with a 21-under 267 total. Lee Janzen holds the 18-hole mark with a 9-under 63 in the second round in 1995. . . . The PGA Tour's new web address is http://www.pgatour.com.
THIS WEEK IN THE PGA
* Tournament: Chrysler-Plymouth Tournament of Championships
* Site: Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
* Course: Weston Hills Country Club (6,090 yards, par 72).
* Purse: $700,000.
* Winner's share: $105,000.
* TV: Channel 4 (Saturday, 4:30-6 p.m.; Sunday, 1:30-3:30 p.m.).
* Notes: Winners from 1995 and 1996 and active LPGA Hall of Fame members are eligible for the season-opening tournament. . . . Webb, a 22-year-old Australian, won the LPGA Tour Championship in November to take the money title with a record $1,002,000. She tied Dottie Pepper and England's Laura Davies for the tour lead with four victories. Davies also won the unofficial LPGA Skins Games along with three tournaments in Europe and two in Japan. . . . Dottie Pepper won the inaugural tournament in 1994, and Dawn Coe-Jones took the 1995 event.