Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day. Or at least we feel that way. It's easy, especially when we're hoisting a pint in tribute to the Emerald Isle.
If you're a little hazy as to where to celebrate on Tuesday, there are a few spots known for their year-round shenanigans.
Yeah, they're pubs. And for good reason, says Gerry Mackey, owner of the Harp Inn and Durty Nelly's, both in Costa Mesa.
"Pubs are an extension of the living room. They're more than just drinking establishments. They're where people gather, even if they don't drink," says Mackey, who grew up in County Armagh, Ireland. "It's a gathering of the clan, and in Ireland, if you don't go to the pub, you miss learning something."
Pubs are boisterous, where conversation (called "crack") is ongoing, and most folks feel good about crooning a ballad or two. "Most of our songs were inspired by grief, death, war, lost love, poverty, immigration . . . ." Mackey rattles on. "But we have some lilting ones too that bring a smile to your face."
The Orange County area is loaded with Irish pubs and restaurants, all laying some claim or another to authenticity. And all will have special St. Patrick's Day food, drinks and/or entertainment, starting on the weekend and continuing through Tuesday.
Here's a brief roundup of some local pubs and what they have going for St. Pat's:
* Blarney Stone. Traditional Irish food will be served from noon until "we run out," says the manager, and Irish music will be performed from 6 p.m. until closing. 11761 Edinger Ave., Fountain Valley, (714) 775-9987.
* Casey's. Bands will perform, and corned beef will be served beginning at 10 a.m. $5 cover. 1325 N. Tustin Ave., Orange, (714) 538-9683.
* Clancy's. Traditional food and drinks will be served. 111 Main St., Seal Beach, (562) 594-8143.
* Daily's. Traditional food and drinks will be served. 29881 Aventura, Rancho Santa Margarita, (714) 858-5092.
* Durty Nelly's. An Irish breakfast, consisting of bacon, sausage, eggs and black pudding ("Don't ask me to describe black pudding to you because you won't be too pleased," jokes Mackey) will be served beginning at 9 a.m. Lunch and dinner will feature corned beef, cabbage, Irish stew and shepherd's pie. Entertainment will include fiddler players, pipers and traditional music. 2915 Red Hill Ave., Costa Mesa, (714) 957-1951.
* The Harp Inn. Its resident band, the popular Fenians, will play traditional Celtic music, and there will be bagpipers, drummers and step dancers. Meals similar to those at Durty Nelly's will be served. 130 E. 17th St., Costa Mesa, (714) 646-8855.
* Hennessey's. Breakfast and corned beef dinner will be served, and a two-piece band will play. 213 Ocean Ave., Laguna Beach, (714) 494-2743; 34111 La Plaza, Dana Point, (714) 488-0121; 140 Main St., Seal Beach, (562) 598-4419.
* The Irisher. Green beer and corned beef sandwiches will be served. 121 Main St., Seal Beach, (562) 596-1427.
* J.C. Flanagan's. A $3 corned beef and cabbage feed will be served, and bands and bagpipers will perform. 1233 S. Brookhurst St., Anaheim, (714) 772-1979.
* Kelly's Korner Tavern. Corned beef and cabbage will be served, and prizes will be awarded. 909 E. Yorba Linda Blvd., Placentia, (714) 961-9396.
* Malarkey's. Hash and eggs will be served for breakfast, corned beef sandwiches for lunch. 3011 Newport Blvd., Newport Beach, (714) 675-2340.
* Malone's. Corned beef and cabbage will be served, and bands will perform in the evening. 604 E. Dyer Road, Santa Ana, (714) 540-6667.
* Muldoon's. Corned beef and cabbage will be served, and three bands will play throughout the day. 202 Newport Center Drive, Newport Beach, (714) 640-4110.
* O'Connor's. Corned beef and cabbage will be served, and a piper will play. 7561 Center Ave., Huntington Beach, (714) 899-9918.
* O'Hara's. Green-colored items will be given away, so no one will get pinched. Beer will be served in take-home soda sand pails to celebrate the pub's 25th St. Paddy's Day. There will be a bagpiper in the evening. 150 N. Glassell St., Orange, (714) 532-9264.
* Patsy's. Traditional food will be served. 28971 Golden Lantern, Laguna Niguel, (714) 249-2604.
* Patrick's. Traditional food and music will be on tap. 2645 Harbor Blvd., Costa Mesa, (714) 966-2721.
* Reagan's. Dancers and pipers will perform, and Irish stew and other foods will be served. 25571 Geronimo Road, Mission Viejo, (714) 587-0253.
* Shamrock. A bagpiper and an Irish American band will perform, and the kitchen will serve an Irish breakfast along with corned beef and Guinness Irish stew. 2633 W. Coast Highway, Newport Beach, (714) 631-5633.
* Silky Sullivan's. There will be live entertainment from 3 to 11 p.m. and a bagpipe player during the day. An outside patio for smokers will be open, and a tent in the parking lot will handle overflow crowds. 10201 Slater Ave., Fountain Valley, (714) 963-2718.