St. Augustine Academy in Ventura will hold an open house Friday. Student presentations will include a science fair, art displays and Ukrainian Easter eggs.
The academy offers a classical liberal arts curriculum that follows the intellectual and spiritual custom of the Catholic Church, said headmaster Martin O'Hara.
The school is accepting applications for grades 4 through 12. The open house is an opportunity for the public to look the school over, O'Hara said.
Doors will open at 7 p.m. The academy is at 1711 Wood Place. For information, call 658-8161.
Special Mother's Day Talk
* On Sunday, Mother's Day, the Rev. Irma Oestmann of the Unity Church will speak about "Love's Miracles" to mothers and their families in Thousand Oaks at the Holiday Inn, 495 N. Ventu Park Road.
The interdenominational Unity Church also publishes the Daily Word meditation booklet. For information, call 496-6901.
Lectures to Focus on Bahai Faith
* An informational lecture series about the Bahai faith will be held Wednesday nights through the remainder of May at 1889 Montgomery Ave. in Ventura. Jan Dietrick will teach the class.
For information or to register, call 659-4660.
Church Plans Dinner, Auction
* The public is invited to Our Lady of the Assumption's spring auction and dinner May 16 in Ventura.
Auction items include rides through orange groves aboard the Fillmore and Western Railway, Dodger and Clipper tickets and a whale watching trip. Following the 5:30 p.m. silent auction, a 1950s style dinner of burgers, fries, onion rings, malts and a sock hop dance will round out the evening.
The event will be held in the church hall at 3169 Telegraph Road. Cost is $12.50 per person. Proceeds will benefit Our Lady of the Assumption School. For reservations, call 642-7198.
Church to Present Musical Play
* All Saints Episcopal Church of Oxnard will present the second of two performance tonight of an original musical play, "Charley the Caterpillar."
Based on John Aurelio's "The Garden of Life," the play was written by Modenia Joy Kramer, with assistance from other All Saints members. Anne Ward and Debra Godsman arranged the music, and Paula Stanfield choreographed the dancing.
Geoff Stanfield plays the role of Charley, a young caterpillar in search of a friend. Traveling through the forest, Charley meets rabbits, deer, fish, dogs, cats, birds and mice portrayed by children of the congregation.
The public is welcome at the event in the church sanctuary. The curtain goes up at 7 p.m. On Saturday night, a "resurrection party" will follow in the parish hall.
All Saints is at 144 South C St. For information, call 483-2347.
Bluegrass and Gospel Concert
* Gospel in the Country, an outdoor bluegrass and gospel concert, will begin at 4 p.m. today at the Rancho Del Rey Christian Conference Center near Oak View.
The public is welcome to the event, which will feature the Witcher Brothers Bluegrass Band, Home Grown Bluegrass Band, the Red River Band from Ventura County and the Country Gospel Jubilee. The concert will end at 7:30 p.m.
Gospel Light Publications and KDAR Radio are co-sponsoring the concert. It will be the third held on the grounds of the 130-acre Ojai Valley retreat.
Tickets are $7.50 at the gate; free for children 12 and under. A tri-tip dinner for $5 will be available. Lawn chairs or blankets for picnics are welcome.
For information or reservations, call Rancho del Rey at 649-3356. It is at 655 Burnham Road., Oak View.
Potter to Present Bible Program
* The Ascension Lutheran Church women's ministry in Thousand Oaks has invited potter Carole Wolaver to present "The Master's Pieces," in which she speaks while spinning her potter's wheel, using biblical verses.
Wolaver, a professional ceramist, has presented her program to more than 100 churches nationwide and has appeared on the Turner Broadcasting Network.
The program, suitable for all ages, will be held Friday at 7:30 p.m. It will also feature the church's Country Spirit Singers. Dessert and beverage will be included in the $10 cost.
Child-care wil be available with advance notice. For reservations, call Margy Ochsner of Ascension Lutheran Church at 581-5156.
The church is at 1600 E. Hillcrest Drive.
Religion Briefs is a weekly listing that runs each Saturday. Please address items, with a publishable telephone number, to Religion Briefs, Los Angeles Times, 93 S. Chestnut St., Ventura 93001. Items may be faxed to The Times at 653-7576 or 653-7548.