The four major candidates for governor of California will square off in the first, and perhaps only, debate of the primary campaign Wednesday.
The forum will be hosted by the Los Angeles Times in its downtown Harry Chandler Auditorium.
The four candidates--Democrats Al Checchi, Lt. Gov. Gray Davis and Rep. Jane Harman and Republican Atty. Gen. Dan Lungren--will appear on the same ballot June 2, reflecting the state’s change to a new “blanket” primary system.
The 10:30 a.m. forum will be broadcast by the following Los Angeles area media:
* Century Cable System--live
* Orange County News Channel--live
* KPCC-FM radio--live
* The Times’ World Wide Web site, https://www.latimes.com/gov--live.
* KCET-TV--7 p.m.
* C-SPAN--Wednesday evening and the following weekend.
* KCRW-FM--1 p.m. and 7 p.m.
The Times will publish a special report on the forum Thursday. The report also will be posted on the Times Web site beginning that day.