ORANGE COUNTY ASSESSOR RACE
JAMES S. BONE
An accountant from Mission Viejo, Bone has written several books on property taxation. He also has served as a consultant on property tax and assessment appeals for homeowners.
* Party: Republican
* Age: 57
* Residence: Mission Viejo
* Education: Bachelor’s in accounting, San Diego State University, 1965; master’s in business administration, U.S. International University, 1971.
* Career highlights: Opened accounting firm in 1976. Member, Assessment Appeals Board. Author of books on appraising and personal property taxation and an assessment appeals manual.
* Priorities: Reduce the number of assessment appeals the county handles. Install new technology with Internet access. Reevaluate business property taxes claimed to be excessive.
WEBSTER J. GUILLORY
Guillory is an assistant Orange County assessor who was hired more than two decades ago in the wake of scandals from a previous administration.
* Party: Independent
* Age: 54
* Residence: Newport Beach
* Education: Bachelor of science, aerospace engineering, Northrop University, 1966; master’s in engineering, USC, 1972.
* Career highlights: Worked in aerospace industry. Hired in current position in 1977; oversaw office restructuring after scandal during the previous administration.
* Priorities: Continue business as his boss, Bradley L. Jacobs, has conducted business. Continue to focus on processing assessment appeals quickly and making the office user-friendly.