Comparing Real Estate Web Sites
Here’s are some of the other major online real estate sites of interest to home shoppers:
* Realtor.com (https://www.realtor.com) has the most property listings but has limited tools for specifying home features.
For the record:
12:00 AM, Nov. 08, 1998 For the Record
Los Angeles Times Sunday November 8, 1998 Home Edition Real Estate Part K Page 3 Real Estate Desk 2 inches; 36 words Type of Material: Correction
News provider--A Nov. 1 story headlined “Comparing Real Estate Web Sites” cited the wrong company as the provider of realty news for Realtor.com, the Web site of the National Assn. of Realtors. The correct news service is Real Times (https://realtimes.com).
It does not offer as much content as HomeAdvisor, but it has resources for finding a Realtor and getting up-to-date mortgage rates. Its Resource Center offers help in getting credit reports and insurance and information on child care and elder care. It also has Inman real estate news and is faster and easier to navigate than HomeAdvisor.
* CyberHomes (https://www.cyberhomes.com) has a good selection of listings. However, it does not offer enough criteria to select home features, and a list of homes that meet the limited criteria only notes the price, number of bedrooms and bathrooms, the city and the property type (single-family home or condominium). It also has Inman real estate content.
* California Living Network (https://www.living.com) offers listings provided through the ListingLink database. There are plenty of homes to choose from, as well as content on home repair, property laws and Realtors. It has limited community information and Web links.
* ListingLink (https://www.listinglink.com) has comprehensive listings, an agent finder and a variety of lender tools. Search for listings by address, city or multiple listing service number. Feature choices are limited to price, number of bedrooms and bathrooms and some amenities like dining room, pool and fireplace but not square footage.
* Yahoo Real Estate (https://realestate.yahoo.com) offers a mortgage and financial glossary, salary comparisons among various cities, school reports, an insurance center and other features. It is easy to use and has comprehensive listings and Inman real estate content.
* HomeSeekers.com (https:// www.homeseekers.com) has a limited number of cities and areas and limited criteria for selecting a home. It appears to still be under construction because the buttons under its “specials” section came up empty.
* Homes.com (https://www. homes.com) offers limited properties, some school information, a home buyer calculator and classified ads. It is not very useful at this time.