* The 28th annual benefit fashion show and tea, sponsored by Church Women United, is set for 1 p.m. today at Ventura's First United Methodist Church, 1338 E. Santa Clara St.
Men's and women's fashions will be modeled by members of the 10 churches in the Ventura unit. Music will be performed, and Jymmye Hitch will narrate.
A donation of $5 is requested, with proceeds going to local charities.
For more information, call 647-6390 or 643-8382.
Teen Program Sponsors Concert
* The teen program of Ojai Valley Community Church will sponsor a free concert featuring Michelangelo and the Difference at 7 p.m. today in the church sanctuary.
Michelangelo and the Difference, an alternative rock band from Phoenix, is winding up a 31-day tour. Also featured will be an Ojai punk band, Bad Case of Reality.
The church is at 907 El Centro in Ojai. For more information, call Larry Skinner at 646-4324 or Christine Hodge at 646-2663.
Instruction in Japanese Language
* The Oxnard Buddhist Church will offer instruction in reading, writing and speaking Japanese beginning today.
The Japanese Language School will provide instruction to kindergartners through adults. The classes will run from from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturdays.
For more information, call the Rev. Kakei Nakagawa, the language school principal, at 483-5948.
The Oxnard Buddhist Church is at 250 South H St.
Sign-Ups Begin at St. Paul's Church
* Sunday is Rally Day at St. Paul's United Methodist Church in Oxnard, featuring sign-ups and the start of a new year, said the Rev. Al Gorsline.
The annual church picnic begins at 11:30 a.m. Sunday on the church grounds.
St. Paul's United Methodist Church is at 1800 South C St.
Annual Rally Day, Concert Set
* The United Methodist Church of Thousand Oaks will hold its annual Rally Day and Youth Concert on Sunday.
"This is when we refocus our efforts after the summer months," said the Rev. Terry Bushart. Activities begin at 10 a.m. with an outdoor worship service. A nine-piece youth Christian band from Escondido called "Godrocket" will be featured, as will the puppet ministry.
The traditional pit barbecue lunch will follow with chicken and hot dogs, at $5 for adults and $3 for children.
The church is at 1000 Janss Road. Bushart invites the community to join in its "40-year tradition of positive contributions via the homeless shelter, free meals program, senior concerns, Meals on Wheels, Manna, and other outreach activities."
For more information about Rally Day, call 495-7215.
Temple to Hold Open House
* Thousand Oaks' Temple Etz Chaim will hold an open house at 11 a.m. Sunday. Prospective members are invited for a tour of the temple and the opportunity to meet with the rabbi.
The temple is at 1080 Janss Road. For information, call the temple office at 497-6891.
Dialogue at Krishnamurti Library
* Beginning Tuesday, the Krishnamurti Foundation of America will host a weekly dialogue at the Krishnamurti Library in Ojai at 7 p.m. The dialogue will include videos.
The library is at 1130 McAndrew Road. A $5 donation is asked. For more information, call the foundation at 646-2726.
A three-day fall dialogue retreat titled "Understanding Ourselves in Relationships: Conditioning Observed in Daily Life" will get underway at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 9 with an orientation and buffet dinner.
The yearly event takes place at the Oak Grove School in Ojai, where Krishnamurti gave many talks during his lifetime.
For reservations or information, call Stephen Smith at 646-2726.
Parenting Seminar in Oxnard
* A parenting seminar presented by Tom Prinz will begin Tuesday and run for three weeks at Oxnard's First Presbyterian Church.
Titled "Home Improvement in the '90s," the seminar costs $4 per person or $6 per couple per session. Sessions run from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
Child care is free during the seminar, but registration is required for those who plan to use it. Call 983-0214 for child care or information.
First Presbyterian is at 850 Ivywood Drive.
Church Council Plans Discussions
* The Ventura County Council of Churches is sponsoring the first in a series of ecumenical dialogues from 1:30 to 3 p.m. Wednesday in the theology library at St. John's Seminary in Camarillo.
St. John's Seminary is at 5012 Seminary Road. For more information, call the Rev. Edwin Girod at 484-0530.
Catholic Women's Group to Meet
* The Ventura Council of the Los Angeles Archdiocesan Council of Catholic Women will meet at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday at St. Anthony Church in Oxnard.
The Rev. John Agar will speak on "Highlights of the Eastern Church," with Mass and a catered lunch following. The program will conclude at 1:30 p.m.
Also at St. Anthony Church, Karen Wilhelmy is presenting a yearlong course on the Bible. Tuesdays are devoted to the Old Testament and Wednesdays to the New Testament. Discussion times are 1:15 and 7 p.m. Call the parish office at 486-7301 for more information.
The church is at 2511 South C St.
'Journey Program' Is for All Ages
* A free 10-week "Journey Program" for children, youth and adults will begin Wednesday and run from 6 to 8 p.m. each Wednesday at Camarillo's United Methodist Church. Child care will be provided.
"Journey Singers," children in kindergarten through third grade, will learn music and movement with Lynn Decker-Mahin and choreographer Nema Pierce from 6 to 6:30 p.m.
For more information, call Patricia Carroll at 482-4312. Camarillo United Methodist is at 291 Anacapa Drive.