Girl, 3, Dies in E. Coli Case Linked to Sizzler Eatery

From Bloomberg News

A 3-year-old girl who was sickened by E. coli poisoning linked to a Sizzler restaurant in Milwaukee died Friday of complications from the illness, hospital officials said.

Sizzler International Inc. said it’s assisting with the Milwaukee Health Department’s investigation of an E. coli outbreak, which the company said may be linked to one of its steakhouses. The Culver City-based company’s flagship Sizzler USA unit owns 65 restaurants and franchises 200 more across the U.S.

Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin said it has treated seven cases of the disease in children 3 to 8 years old in the last week. Three-year-old Brianna Kriefall of South Milwaukee died at 6:57 a.m. local time Friday, the hospital said. Two children are still being treated at the hospital, and a 4-year-old who had been vacationing with her grandparents in Wisconsin remains in a New York hospital’s intensive care unit.

E. coli is a food-borne bacteria that can be spread by eating undercooked or spoiled meats.


Sizzler took a $4.9-million charge in May 1993 to settle costs from E. coli outbreaks in Oregon and Washington. The company said ensuing reports found that the restaurant had nothing to do with that outbreak.

Shares of Sizzler fell 31 cents, or 14%, to close at $1.88 on the New York Stock Exchange.