On Friday, Mayor James K. Hahn announced his nominees to three critical city commissions. The City Council must confirm his appointments in the next 45 days before the nominees can take their posts.
* Eileen Nebel Levine, a health educator and former associate dean of students for UCLA's Student Health Service.
* Cheryl Peterson, a member of the Los Angeles World Affairs Council and a current airport commissioner who was appointed by former Mayor Richard Riordan in September.
* Ted Stein, an attorney and real estate developer in the San Fernando Valley who served as president of the harbor and airport commissions under Riordan.
* Warren W. Valdry, president of Valdry's Investment and Land Development Group and a current airport commissioner who was appointed by Riordan in July 1993.
* Armando Vergara, a member of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America who worked in various senior and executive management positions since 1950.
* Ruth Mahala Brown Walter, a community activist and retired schoolteacher.
* Leland Wong, a director of government and community relations for the California division of Kaiser Permanente and former president of both the harbor and airport commissions.
* James Acevedo, a current fire commissioner, affordable housing developer and political consultant who worked on Hahn's mayoral campaign.
* Camilla Townsend Kocol, principal of the San Pedro/Narbonne Adult School and a former honorary mayor of San Pedro.
* Elwood Lui, attorney and former Los Angeles County Superior Court judge. He served on the appointed Charter Commission.
* Nick Tonsich, attorney and former city prosecutor.
* Thomas H. Warren, past president of the ILWU Local 63 Marine Clerks Assn. and chief supervisor at California United Terminals for Chiquita Banana.
Board of Water and Power Commission
* Annie E. Cho, president of a public relations agency that serves the Asian Pacific American market.
* Mary Leslie, president of a consulting firm and former deputy mayor under Riordan.
* Kenneth T. Lombard, Earvin "Magic" Johnson's business partner and president of the DWP board.
* Dominick W. Rubalcava, an attorney and current commissioner who has served on several other boards.
* Sid C. Stolper, business manager of the Southern California Pipe Trades District Council No. 16.