Freak Accident During MRI Exam Kills Boy, 6
A 6-year-old boy undergoing an MRI exam was killed when the machine’s powerful magnet pulled a metal oxygen tank through the air, fracturing his skull.
Officials at Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla said the tank was inadvertently brought into the exam room Friday after Michael Colombini, of Croton-on-Hudson, was in the magnetic resonance imaging machine and the 10-ton electromagnet was switched on.
The tank was “immediately magnetized and drawn to the center of the machine, causing head trauma to the child,” the medical center said in a news release.
Colombini died Sunday of blunt force trauma and a fractured skull.