A 64-year-old Anaheim man was killed Monday after being struck by two vehicles as he tried to walk across the Costa Mesa Freeway in Orange, authorities said.
Officer Mark Reeves, a spokesman for the California Highway Patrol, said the incident happened about 4:40 p.m. when the man, who had been walking northbound along the freeway's right shoulder just south of Chapman Avenue, suddenly veered into traffic. He managed to cross three lanes, Reeves said, before being struck by a 1998 Toyota pickup truck in the carpool lane. The impact knocked the man to the ground and into the path of an oncoming Honda, which ran him over, Reeves said.
The man was taken to Western Medical Center-Santa Ana, where he died a short time later.