African American men are disproportionately affected by prostate cancer. Now, the Urban League, the American Cancer Society and the Real Men Cook Foundation are teaming up to offer an educational forum on the disease, complete with free screenings for men 40 and older. On Saturday at the Los Angeles Airport Hilton and Towers, 5711 W. Century Blvd., Los Angeles. 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Free. (323) 294-7411.
* Today: Lip-reading class, sponsored by Los Angeles Unified School District. (Meets Mondays.) Jewish Home for the Aging, 18855 Victory Blvd., Reseda. Free. Reservations. (818) 785-8858.
* Tuesday: “Advanced Technology and Hernia Repair,” for senior citizens. Glendale Memorial Hospital, 1420 S. Central Ave., Glendale. 9:30-11 a.m. Free. Reservations. (818) 502-2396.
* Tuesday: “Be Smart for Your Heart,” led by a dietitian. Northridge Hospital’s Sherman Way Campus, 14500 Sherman Circle, Van Nuys. 7-8:30 p.m. Free. Reservations. (818) 885-5482.
* Wednesday: “Kids Get Arthritis Too!” an awareness forum sponsored by the Arthritis Foundation. Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, 4650 Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles. 6-9 p.m. Free. Reservations. (323) 954-5750.
* Wednesday: “Managing the Challenges of Aging” will focus on retirement, health, loss of loved ones, and the prospect of losing independence. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, 8700 Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles. 6:30-8 p.m. Free. Reservations. (800) CEDARS-1.
* Wednesday: “Ovarian Cancer: What’s New in Diagnosis, Treatment, Symptom Management and Psychosocial Support.” Cedars-Sinai Ambulatory Care Center Clinic, 8723 Alden Drive, Los Angeles. 6:30-9 p.m. Free. Reservations. (310) 423-3348.
* Wednesday: “Do You Hear What I Hear?” will focus on hearing tests, hearing aids and insurance. Glendale Adventist Medical Center, 1500 Chevy Chase Drive, Glendale. 10-11:30 a.m. Free. Reservations. (818) 409-8100.
* Friday: “Look Good, Feel Better,” sponsored by the American Cancer Society, for women who are undergoing chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Glendale Memorial Hospital, Comprehensive Cancer Center, 1520 S. Central Ave., Glendale. 12:30 p.m. Free. Reservations. (818) 502-2380.
* Saturday: A physician/holistic ophthalmologist will offer eye-care screenings and lectures. Free. 10-6 p.m. Whole Foods Market, 4520 N. Sepulveda Blvd., Sherman Oaks. Free. (310) 317-2119.
* June 20: “Jewish Medical Ethics” will address modern dilemmas from a Jewish perspective. Florence Sylvester Memorial Senior Center, 23721 Moulton Parkway, Laguna Hills. 5:30-7 p.m. $5. Reservations required by Sunday. (949) 380-0155.
* Thursday: Lymphedema group. (Meets second Thursdays.) 7080 Hollywood Blvd., Suite 815, Los Angeles. 7-8:30 p.m. Free. Reservations. (323) 957-9571.
* Friday: Self-Help for Hard of Hearing People will feature an audiologist discussing hearing-aid technology. Cal Fed Bank, 16601 Ventura Blvd., Encino. 6:30 p.m. Free. Reservations. (818) 785-8858.
* Saturday: Celiac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis group. (Meets Saturdays of even-numbered months.) Foothill Presbyterian Education Center, 427 W. Carroll Ave., Glendora. 10 a.m. Free. (626) 335-0600.
Send items typed and double-spaced three weeks in advance to Health Watch, Health, Los Angeles Times, 202 W. 1st St., Los Angeles, CA 90012.