Lutheran Social Services of Van Nuys needs mentors to inspire and motivate disadvantaged and low-income people who are seeking employment. Training will be held this month. A one-month commitment of an hour a week is required. Information: Rebecca Duran, (818) 901-9485.
* Anaheim Public Library needs adults to tutor other adults in basic reading, writing and spelling skills. A nine-hour training workshop is provided Thursday from 6 to 9 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Central Library. Information: (714) 229-0435.
* Penny Lane, a home for abused teens in North Hills, needs volunteers to provide companionship and guidance to teen girls. Information: (818) 892-3423.
* Marine Mammal Care Center in San Pedro, which cares for rescued ailing sea lions and returns them to their natural habitat, needs physically strong volunteers capable of lifting sea lions when needed. Information: Volunteer Center, South Bay-Harbor-Long Beach, (310) 212-5009.
* Daybreak, a Westside shelter that serves mentally ill homeless women, needs volunteers to join its resource board. An information meeting will be held June 19 at the Ken Edwards Community Center at 1527 4th St. from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Information: (310) 264-6646.
* Marina del Rey/LAX/Westchester Chamber of Commerce needs volunteers for the 27th Annual Marina del Rey Boat Show June 28 to July 1. Information: (310) 645-5151.
* California Philharmonic Orchestra needs volunteers of all ages to assist its staff leading up to and during its seven-concert series of outdoor concerts beginning June 30 at the Los Angeles County Arboretum in Arcadia. Volunteers are needed for general office work, to take telephone ticket orders, for stage production, construction and ushering at the concerts. Information: Linda Fogarty or Patricia Imbrogno (626) 300-8200.
* 30-Minute Beach Clean-Up invites volunteers to help clean up the beach at the end of Granada Avenue in Belmont Shore on the third Saturday of every month from 10 to 10:30 a.m. Information: Justin Rudd, (562) 439-3316.
Information for this column should be submitted typed and double-spaced to Involvement Opportunities, SoCal Living, Los Angeles Times, 202 W. 1st St., Los Angeles, CA 90012.