Compton Mayor Omar Bradley has formally launched what promises to be a prolonged legal challenge to his defeat in last week's city elections.
Bradley lost his bid for a third four-year term to political neophyte Eric Perrodin, a deputy district attorney.
In a 22-page affidavit filed late Monday in Los Angeles Superior Court, Bradley said he intends to contest the election results and ask for a recount. The affidavit, though offering few details, said the June 5 election was marked by ballot box stuffing, forged absentee ballots, the illegal registration of voters and poor supervision by the city clerk.
Hundreds, if not thousands of voters, Bradley said, found their precinct locations switched or showed up to vote only to learn someone else had voted in their place. Citing videotaped evidence, the mayor said that votes from one precinct were not in their proper boxes.
City Clerk Charles Davis, who oversaw the election, said the affidavit and recount request were premature because the outgoing City Council, which is controlled by Bradley and his allies, has yet to certify the election results. He said his staff is ready to proceed with a recount after certification.
In response to Bradley's charges, Perrodin, who is scheduled to take office July 1, has said that the mayor has a long history of voter fraud through inflated voter registration at homes of his family and supporters.
"This is like the pot calling the kettle black, only I'm not even a kettle," Perrodin said.
Milton Grimes, a lawyer representing Bradley in the case, could not be reached for comment.