Retired Newsman Rescued in Fire

From Associated Press

Retired television news veteran David Brinkley was rescued from his burning townhouse by a sheriff's deputy who broke into the home through a window, authorities said Wednesday.

Teton County Sheriff's Deputy Chad Sachse said he helped put the bedridden Brinkley in a wheelchair and pushed him to safety early Tuesday. Brinkley, 82, and his caregiver escaped injury.

Fire Marshal Rusty Palmer said the blaze appeared to have been caused by faulty insulation around the fireplace. He estimated damage at $100,000.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
54°