Firefighters responded to four fires sparked by turkey fryers over the Thanksgiving holiday, officials said.
None of the fires caused major damage, but one man suffered first-degree burns to his face, said Sacramento Metropolitan Fire Capt. Pat Ellis.
Fire officials say people who want to use turkey fryers should read the instructions carefully and use them outdoors, far from any combustible material.
Since 1998, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has received 75 reports of fires and burns related to turkey fryers. Twenty-eight of those fires occurred last year.
The fryers require cooks to immerse turkeys in a metal bucket with more than three gallons of oil over a propane flame. Ellis said fires often occur because people place too much oil in the bucket, forgetting that oil expands as it heats up.
In one incident, a man suffered first-degree burns on his face after lifting the lid of the burning fryer.