Times Staff Writer

The tune most fans may have been humming coming out of the No Doubt/Blink-182 concert Saturday at Hyundai Pavilion in Devore wasn’t a hit by those groups, but an old Animals classic: “We Gotta Get Out of This Place.”

Miles-long traffic snarls resulted in hundreds if not thousands of fans being stranded in their vehicles before and after the show outside the amphitheater, observers said. The show’s sponsor and promoter issued apologies Monday and offered refunds to those who never got in to the 7 p.m. show.

“It was outrageous,” said Bill Groak, 47, who left San Dimas at 7:15 p.m. and didn’t get to his seat until 10:30 p.m.


“I’ve been to concerts ... and Super Bowls, Rose Bowls.... I never remember that kind of traffic.”

Clear Channel Entertainment, which promoted the show that drew about 40,000 fans, blamed “numerous highway accidents,” although a spokesman for the California Highway Patrol’s Inland Division said the situation was “fairly typical” for Pavilion events.

“Everything that feeds into where we are, the 10, the 215, the 15 [freeways], was impacted by accidents at some point during the day,” said Alan DeZon, vice president of operations for CCE’s Los Angeles office. “We planned for every contingency, we just got whacked.”

KROQ-FM (106.7), which sponsored the concert, “took calls nonstop from Saturday night starting around 9 p.m. and all day yesterday,” assistant program director Gene Sandbloom said Monday. “I know there were problems years back at Ozzfest when they were pushing the 50,000 mark. But we were told they had addressed many of those issues that had to do with the parking.”

CCE posted an apology Monday on the Pavilion’s website,, including details about refunds for those who failed to get into the show.

Those fans also are being offered a free ticket to an upcoming show by Linkin Park, Incubus or Rooney, or to Ozzfest.


“The band felt horrible about it,” No Doubt’s manager Jim Guerinot said Monday. “They had to be in Las Vegas for a show the next night. The plan was that as soon as they got off stage, they would just get in the bus and go, [but] they sat there for close to three hours.”