Family of Slain Teen Thanks Community

Times Staff Writer

In their first public comments since the shooting death of 13-year-old Devin Brown by police last weekend, the teenager’s mother and immediate family thanked “the many friends, neighbors and good citizens of our city who have shown their love and support for our family during this difficult time.”

The family also said Thursday that they appreciated the “prayers and activism in bringing light to the tragic death of our son and family member Devin.”

A funeral is planned for 1 p.m. Tuesday at Bethel AME Church at 7900 S. Western Ave.


The statement, issued on behalf of his mother and sister by a public relations firm, also distanced the family from statements made by others on their behalf.

“While there are several individuals claiming to be spokespersons for our family and claiming to represent our family’s thoughts and interests regarding Devin’s death and the incident leading to his death, we have not designated any person to serve as the spokesperson for our family,” they said in comments distributed by Tobin Associates.

In the statement -- which the family called their “first official response” -- Devin was described as “the product of a very loving, caring and stable family ... a delightful and respectful young man who loved sports, computers and hoped to be a computer scientist one day. Unfortunately, his life was cut short, but his memory and impact on each of our lives will last forever.”

The family asked that their desire to grieve Devin’s death privately be honored. The statement said a memorial fund has been set up in Devin’s name at Bank of America, Branch No. 1167, 118 W. Rosecrans Ave., Gardena, CA 90248-1830.

Police have said Devin was driving a stolen Toyota Camry and had fled from police at the time an officer fired 10 shots into the car. Suspecting a drunk driver, police had chased the car until it stopped up on a curb at Western Avenue and 83rd Street in South Los Angeles just before 4 a.m. Sunday. A 14-year-old passenger in the car ran and was arrested near the scene. The car then apparently backed into the police cruiser.