History of Wilshire in 16 miles
Ever wonder who Wilshire Boulevard is named after? Or what’s the oldest building on that celebrated roadway? History buffs will have a chance to check out some famous local landmarks when the Los Angeles Conservancy kicks off its new “Curating the City” initiative with a one-day, self-guided architectural tour of Wilshire Boulevard. The tour will cover 130 years, 16 miles and three cities, from downtown to the beach. Docent-led tours of Bullocks Wilshire (1929), the Elks Club (1925), Wilshire Boulevard Temple (1925), the Wadsworth Chapel (1900) and other structures will be included. The tour is designed for participation by car or Metro bus.
Johnie’s Coffee Shop (1955), one of the few remaining examples of the popular postwar Googie coffee shop architectural style and shuttered since 2000, will be re-opened for just one day. Inside, the menu will offer an exhibit on the Googie style with Johnie’s architect Eldon Davis, 1950s 3-D slides of the surrounding area and a book signing by Alan Hess, author of “Googie Redux!”
Curating the City: Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles Conservancy, 523 W. 6th St., Suite 826, L.A. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. $12.50-$35. (213) 623-2489. www.curatingthecity.org