Chris Brown issues apology in alleged assault on Rihanna
Singer Chris Brown issued an apology Sunday for an incident in which he allegedly assaulted his girlfriend, pop singer Rihanna, just hours before last week’s Grammy Awards.
“Words cannot begin to express how sorry and saddened I am over what transpired,” Brown said in a statement issued through a public relations firm. “I am seeking the counseling of my pastor, my mother and other loved ones and I am committed, with God’s help, to emerging a better person.”
Brown, 19, did not describe what happened, but complained that bloggers and others were disseminating faulty information.
“Much of what has been speculated or reported on blogs and/or reported in the media is wrong,” he said. “While I would like to be able to talk about this more, until the legal issues are resolved, this is all I can say except that I have not written any messages or made any posts to Facebook, on blogs or any place else. Those posts or writings under my name are frauds.”
Brown was arrested Feb. 8 on suspicion of making criminal threats against a woman. He is free on $50,000 bail.
Brown and Rihanna, 20, whose full name is Robyn Rihanna Fenty, had been together Feb. 7 in Beverly Hills at a pre-Grammy gala, hosted by the Grammy-sponsoring Recording Academy and veteran music executive Clive Davis.
After the gala, Brown and Rihanna drove through the nearby Westside neighborhood of Hancock Park in a rented Lamborghini. Brown stopped the car, the two got out and an argument between them escalated, police said. Rihanna suffered visible injuries and identified Brown as her attacker, police said. A witness called 911, but police said Brown was gone by the time officers arrived.
Brown turned himself in while the Grammys were being televised. Neither attended the ceremony. Rihanna had three Grammy nominations and Brown had two. Neither won.
The Los Angeles County district attorney’s office has not charged Brown.