Advertisement

THE NATION

Times Wire Reports

A man, his son and a co-worker hired to clean a putrid dry well at a Queens waste transfer station died when the son fell into a space filled with toxic fumes and the others went to help him, officials said.

They apparently were overcome by hydrogen sulfide, a toxic gas common in wells like the one being cleaned, said John Sudnik, Fire Department deputy assistant chief of the Queens borough command. The gas is created by water and decomposing garbage.


Advertisement