Girl, dad need help

Dear Amy: My mom died about a year ago. I’m in 10th grade and recently my dad decided to let his girlfriend, “Jenni,” move in.

When I see them together I just want to cry.

I want to talk to my dad about this, but I don’t know what to say. Am I overreacting?

Upset and Grieving


Dear Upset: Your loss is monumental -- and your life is changing too fast.

You and your dad should see a counselor together.

Your community should also have a family grieving support group. Your school counselor will have recommendations.

The conversation with your dad should start simply: “Dad, we need help.”

Send questions to Amy Dickinson by e-mail to or by mail to Ask Amy, Chicago Tribune, TT500, 435 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60611.