Apple sues Samsung, hopes to stop U.S. sale of Galaxy S III
Apple has sued Samsung in hopes of receiving an injunction that would keep the South Korean company from starting to sell its Galaxy S III phone in the U.S. this month.
Apple filed the lawsuit with the District Court for the Northern District of California on Tuesday, claiming Samsung’s phone infringes on Apple’s user-interface patents, according to a report.
But Samsung says consumers hoping to buy its flagship phone later this month need not worry as sales will proceed as planned.
“Samsung believes Apple’s request is without merit,” a spokeswoman for the company said over email. “We will vigorously oppose the request and demonstrate to the court that the Galaxy S III is innovative and distinctive.”
Various U.S. carrier have begun taking preorders for the Galaxy S III, and T-Mobile and Sprint have set a June 21 launch date for the phone.
The Galaxy S III, which has been highly anticipated, launched in 28 countries in Europe and the Middle East last month, according to the Wall Street Journal, which reported the news.
This is the latest in a series of legal actions by each company against the other. Last month, the CEOs of both companies were instructed by a federal judge to meet to see whether the sides could resolve their issues, but no solution was found.
Apple did not respond to a request for comment.
The view from Sacramento
Sign up for the California Politics newsletter to get exclusive analysis from our reporters.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.