The Thomas-Throop House in Pasadena takes its name from early owner George Thomas, a doctor, and Amos G. Throop, who as founder of the California Institute of Technology left his indelible stamp on the city.
Designed by Pasadena architect Harry Ridgeway, the Queen Anne-style Victorian is thought to have been built on spec in 1887. Ridgeway, who is credited with the design of part of Caltech when it was called Throop University, was known for combining different styles. Craftsman features are also incorporated in the house.
Businessman and politician Throop purchased the multi-story dwelling in 1888, the same year he became mayor of Pasadena, the adding machine was patented and incumbent President Grover Cleveland won the popular vote but lost in the Electoral College to Benjamin Harrison.
The structure was moved a couple of blocks in 1905 from the corner of Del Mar and South Orange Grove boulevards to its present quarter-acre spot on the south side of Lockehaven Street.
Steps lead up to the wide front porch of the green shingle- and plank-clad house. Beyond the wood and paned-glass front door are such upgraded spaces as an open kitchen/dining area, a large family room and an elevator. There are also three fireplaces and a powder room on the main level.
Four bedrooms and three bathrooms occupy the second floor, which opens to a deck above the front porch. An attic suite on the third floor consists of a sitting room/ bedroom with sloped ceilings and another bathroom for a total of 3,853 square feet of living space.
The property contains a brick-surrounded swimming pool with a spa, lawn, mature trees and a gated driveway. The detached oversized garage has four parking spaces.