Advertisement
Share

OnlyFans users and creators can rejoice: Site suspends its planned porn ban

A hand holding a smartphone showing the OnlyFans site
OnlyFans is suspending its plan to ban explicit content.
(Tali Arbel / Associated Press)

OnlyFans says it has suspended a plan to ban sexually explicit content following an outcry from its creators and advocates for sex workers.

The subscription site known for porn tweeted Wednesday that it had “secured assurances necessary to support our diverse creator community” and will “continue to provide a home for all creators.”

OnlyFans said Thursday that it would ban explicit content starting Oct. 1, blaming policies of banks and payment processors for the policy change. “The new rules are necessary to comply with the requirements of these financial institutions and are the only way to help ensure the long-term sustainability of OnlyFans,” the company said in a message to users last week.

It’s not clear if the new announcement permanently reverses the planned ban. Questions sent to the company were not answered immediately Wednesday.

Last week’s abrupt change upset the site’s creators, many of whom threatened to move to another website.

A lot of sex workers joined OnlyFans during the pandemic when in-person venues shut down or became more dangerous because of COVID-19. The site has been tremendously lucrative for some people, allowing them to earn thousands every month. OnlyFans says it has 2 million creators who have collectively earned $5 billion. The site has 130 million users, OnlyFans says.

Advocates had criticized OnlyFans’ planned ban, saying they were concerned it would push sex workers into more dangerous street-based sex work.


Advertisement