Discovery’s Shark Week fans go into Twitter frenzy
Discovery Channel’s Shark Week has begun to gobble up social media attention, as fin fans turned to Twitter to discuss the first special, “Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives,” about a hunt for a killer shark off the coast of South Africa.
Two Shark Week programs broke into the top 10 most talked about TV shows on Twitter for the week of July 29-Aug. 4, according to SocialGuide, which ranks the most social TV programs ranked by activity on the social media site.
The network did plenty to fan the Twitter frenzy, including hosting a Google+ Hangout at the National Aquarium’s Blacktip Reef in Baltimore, an exhibit swarming with sharks. YouTube celebrity iJustine joined aquarium experts and “Shark After Dark” host Josh Wolf in hosting Sunday’s event, which marks the official start of Shark Week. Discovery Channel also is featuring fan tweets during the telecasts.
The top 10 TV listing of most social shows for the week are:
- Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta (VH1), Monday, 736,045 tweets
- Justin Bieber: Never Say Never (MTV), Sunday, 551,862 tweets
- Catfish: The TV Show (MTV), Tuesday, 415,985 tweets
- Teen Wolf (MTV), Monday, 344,940 tweets
- Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives (Discovery), Sunday, 325,408 tweets
- Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family), Tuesday, 282,283 tweets
- Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor (BBC America), Sunday, 252,623 tweets
- The Bachelorette (ABC), Monday, 187,180 tweets
- Hit the Floor (VH1), Monday, 167,105 tweets
- Air Jaws: Countdown to Shark Week 2013 (Discovery), Sunday, 152,796 tweets
From the Oscars to the Emmys.
Get the Envelope newsletter for exclusive awards season coverage, behind-the-scenes stories from the Envelope podcast and columnist Glenn Whipp’s must-read analysis.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.