Chris Brown hit-and-run-case dismissed after ‘civil compromise’
Chris Brown’s hit-and-run case stemming from a May fender bender has been dismissed.
Superior Court Judge Christine Ewell said Thursday that a “civil compromise” had been reached, L.A. Now reported.
The Grammy-winning R&B singer originally faced misdemeanor charges of hit-and-run, driving without a valid license and driving without valid insurance, but the latter two charges were dropped when the 24-year-old produced a driver license from his native Virginia and proof that he had insurance.
PHOTOS: Chris Brown’s life in pictures
The “Don’t Wake Me Up” singer’s attorney Mark Geragos filed a motion to dismiss the remaining hit-and-run charge because Brown had reached a civil settlement with the other driver, Olga Kovalenko, whose Mercedes was rear-ended in the May fender bender. He said that no additional money was paid to the car owner beyond the insurance payment for damage to the vehicle.
“The case never should have been filed in the first place. It’s unfortunate he was being prosecuted for who he is rather than what he’s done,” Geragos told TMZ.
Kovalenko reportedly didn’t want any money because the damage done was minor and asked for the case to be dismissed, TMZ reported. The L.A. city attorney had disagreed and argued that Brown’s alleged misdeeds violated his felony probation and alleged that he was also aggressive toward Kovalenko.
The singer took to Twitter on Thursday to share his excitement over the dismissal, writing, “!!!!!!! Thank GOD!” and linking to TMZ’s coverage. (However, at the time of publication, the mobile link took followers to TMZ’s updated homepage declaring that “That 70s Show” actress Lisa Robin Kelly had died. In Breezy’s defense, the URL is for the story about his case being dismissed.)
In July, a judge revoked Brown’s five-year felony probation, which he was serving as a result of his 2009 assault on then-girlfriend Rihanna, because the hit-and-run incident may have violated the probation’s terms.
Despite the most recent case’s dismissal, his legal troubles aren’t over.
On Aug. 5., Brown was booked at a Van Nuys jail and released on his own recognizance until the Aug. 19 probation hearing in which he could face up to four years in jail if found in violation. The resulting media frenzy prompted the singer to say he was retiring from music after his upcoming album, “X.”
On Aug. 9, the singer suffered a non-epileptic seizure, which his rep said doctors attributed “to intense fatigue and extreme emotional stress, both due to the continued onslaught of unfounded legal matters and the nonstop negativity.”
On Tuesday, Brown was named in a lawsuit stemming from a studio parking spot altercation with his associate — referred to as “Hood” in court documents — and singer Frank Ocean in January. Sha’Keir M. Duarte, who filed the complaint, alleged battery, assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress and conspiracy to commit battery, according to L.A. Now.
https://t.co/K4qzmmqe63 !!!!!!! Thank GOD!— Chris Brown (@chrisbrown) August 15, 2013
Michelle Obama teams on foodie hip-hop release for kids
Soleil Moon Frey announces she’s pregnant with baby No. 3
Khloe Kardashian, Lamar Odom not divorcing, Kris Jenner says
Follow Ministry of Gossip @LATcelebs.
It's a date
Get our L.A. Goes Out newsletter, with the week's best events, to help you explore and experience our city.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.