Prince Harry is heading south — way down south. To the South Pole, in fact.
And he’s walking a good part of the way.
The prince will join the Walking With the Wounded South Pole Allied Challenge in November and December, he said at a news conference Friday.
The 208-mile journey will be undertaken by three teams: U.S., Britain and the Commonwealth. The trek grew from humble beginnings, with four founders only three years ago, Harry said.
This time around, teams will be “racing each other to the bottom of the world,” the royal serviceman said, “though we’re not allowed to officially call it a race, But I think we all know what will happen.”
Walking With the Wounded raises funds to train wounded, injured and sick service members — be their injuries physical or mental — and helps them to find a career outside the military, the group’s website says. The three teams include wounded veterans and service members as well as guides and mentors. Harry is the patron of the event, which includes sponsorship from the USO.
The journey is expected to take 16 days in brutally cold weather, the website said.
“As a member of the British team, I will have a brew ready for you when you join us at the Pole,” Harry said after introducing other participants.
Harry took part in the group’s North Pole expedition in 2011 (though he had to leave early to make the royal wedding), the BBC noted, but passed on last year’s Mt. Everest effort.
You can watch the entire news conference above. Harry’s bit starts around the 25-minute mark.
PHOTOS AND MORE: