Skip to content
Los Angeles Times to Publish Major Feb. 23 Academy Awards (R) Preview Section
LOS ANGELES, Feb. 22, 2006 The Los Angeles Times on Feb. 23 will publish a full-color, 20-page special section offering Hollywood awards fans the most comprehensive preview of the 78th Annual Academy Awards ceremony on March 5. The section will showcase the best entertainment reporting from The Times' Calendar and Business sections and the sharp-edged awards coverage that has made The Envelope (www.TheEnvelope.com) the entertainment industry's leading year-round awards website.
Since its launch by The Times in November 2005, traffic on The Envelope has increased steadily, with more than eight million page views in January alone.
"This special section combines the best of The Envelope with the best of The Times to give our newspaper readers and our online visitors more of what they love: an insider's view of Hollywood's biggest event of the year," said Joel Sappell, executive editor, Los Angeles Times Interactive. "We believe this seamless integration between print and Web is the most ambitious undertaking of its kind by a major U.S. newspaper, one that will benefit all of our audiences."
The stand-alone tabloid section will top the Feb. 23 print edition of The Times.
In addition to the must-read entertainment news and insider features for which The Envelope is best known, the tabloid special section will offer plenty of fun and essential "water cooler" content, making the section a must-have resource for Oscar night.
The section will include:
About the Los Angeles Times
- Head to Head: Hot Topics Times' Calendar columnist Patrick Goldstein and senior film writer John Horn, who contribute the weekly "Oscar Call" podcast to The Envelope, debate this year's most pressing Oscar questions.
- Hosts with the Most The Envelope's Steve Pond looks back at the eight greatest performances by Oscar hosts, from Johnny Carson to Billy Crystal.
- Quotable Contenders Highlights from Oscar nominee interviews conducted by The Envelope columnist and Times Calendar writer Susan King.
- Behind The Screens The Envelope columnist and Times deputy entertainment editor Jim Bates translates the doubletalk that is the Academy Awards acceptance speech.
- How to Win Your Oscar Pool The Envelope's Tom O'Neil offers up five surefire tips to make you the king or queen of the cubicles.
- Red Carpet Do's and Don'ts The Envelope Styles and Scenes columnist Elizabeth Snead offers 10 helpful hints every actress should know before she hits the red carpet.
- Oscar Odds The Envelope tracks the latest line on the favorites and the long shots in the major Oscar races.
The Los Angeles Times, a Tribune Publishing company, is the largest metropolitan daily newspaper in the country and the winner of 37 Pulitzer Prizes. Celebrating this year its 125th anniversary covering Southern California, The Times maintains the largest newsgathering operation in California and publishes five daily regional editions: Los Angeles metropolitan area, Orange County, Ventura County, the San Fernando Valley and the Inland Empire of Riverside and San Bernardino counties.
The Times' website, www.latimes.com, features 50,000 content pages and is updated continuously with more than 3,000 stories posted daily. Latimes.com's award-winning arts and entertainment section, calendarlive.com, offers an extensive range of entertainment news reviews and Southern California's most comprehensive event listing. The Times also produces The Envelope, www.TheEnvelope.com, the entertainment industry's most comprehensive, year-round awards show website.
Additional information about The Times is available at www.latimes.com/mediacenter.