Advertisement

Army veteran indicted in bomb plot against white supremacist rally in Long Beach

Army veteran indicted in bomb plot against white supremacist rally in Long Beach
Thom Mrozek of the U.S. attorney’s office in Los Angeles briefs the media beside photographs of suspect Mark Steven Domingo, who was arrested in connection with an alleged terror plot. (Frederic J. Brown / AFP/Getty Images)

A federal grand jury on Wednesday indicted an Army veteran in a plot to plant a bomb at a white supremacist rally in Long Beach.

The indictment charged 26-year-old Mark Domingo with providing material support to terrorists and attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction, the U.S. attorney’s office said.

Advertisement

His public defender, David Wasserman, declined to comment on the charges.

Domingo was arrested last month. Investigators said he wanted to kill people at a Nazi rally that was planned but didn't happen.

Domingo discussed with an informant several types of attacks that included targeting Jews, churches and police, court papers said.

He also spouted about violent jihad in online forums, according to court documents that spell out online chats and conversations recorded over two months.

Domingo posted an online message March 3 saying, “America needs another Vegas event,” an apparent reference to the 2017 mass shooting in Las Vegas that killed 59 people, documents show.

The records indicate that he said it would spark civil unrest to weaken “America by giving them a taste of the terror they gladly spread all over the world.”

Domingo, a combat veteran who served four months in Afghanistan before being kicked out of the Army, converted to Islam and was plotting attacks across Southern California to seek revenge for killings at two New Zealand mosques, prosecutors said.

Domingo is scheduled to be arraigned May 31. He could face life in prison if convicted of all charges.

Advertisement
Advertisement