2 men questioned in stabbing death of Dodgers fan after Giants game

The following post has been updated. See details below.

Two men have been detained for questioning in the stabbing death of a Dodgers fan after a Giants game Wednesday night in San Francisco.

Jonathan Denver, 24, was pronounced dead at San Francisco General Hospital after he was stabbed at about 11:40 p.m. four blocks from AT&T Park, where 90 minutes earlier the Giants beat the Dodgers 6-4.

MORE: Bryan Stow’s family calls death ‘senseless’

Police confirmed that Denver was wearing Dodgers gear when he and another person he was with were attacked. The other man, who was not immediately identified, was bruised after being beaten, according to police.

The two men taken into custody after the attack were ages 18 and 21, according to San Francisco police. They were not immediately identified.


[Updated at 3:01 p.m. PDT, Sept. 26: An earlier version of this post said two men were arrested. San Francisco police say no arrests have taken place, and that two men were being held for questioning.]

The stabbing reportedly occurred after a fight broke out when someone made a comment about Dodgers gear, according to KGO-TV.

At least 10 people were involved in the fight, with one man wielding a knife and another a bat, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

It was not immediately clear if others in the fight were wearing Giants gear, and police declined to comment on a possible motive for the fight.

Detectives were interviewing witnesses as the investigation continues, San Francisco Police Sgt. Danielle Newman said.

The Dodgers and Giants have a rivalry going back generations. In 2011, it turned violent when Giants fan Bryan Stow was severely beaten in the parking lot of Dodger Stadium.

ALSO:FBI arrests Temecula man, 19, in ‘sextortion’ of Miss Teen USA

Consequences for lost, stolen LAUSD iPads not yet ‘hammered out’

‘Innocence of Muslims’ filmmaker is scheduled for release Thursday

Twitter: @josephserna