Seven children in Orange County were burned Wednesday when a science project went awry during an after-school program.
The children, all ages 5 to 8, were burned at the YMCA in Coto de Caza around 2 p.m. when an experiment involving microwaved soap splashed on the children, said Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Steve Concialdi.
“The kids got too excited and touched the soap, which had billowed up like a cloud,” he said. “The cloud separated and splashed down on the kids.”
The children suffered first- and second-degree burns, Concialdi said.
A 7-year-old girl was hurt the worst, suffering first- and second-degree burns on her right arm, he said. She had to be taken to a hospital in Mission Viejo, but the other children’s injuries were treatable on site, he added.
“It’s just an unfortunate accident,” Concialdi said. “But all the kids will be OK.”
Concialdi said the situation could have been even worse had it not been for the quick thinking of the principal of the neighboring school, Wagon Wheel Elementary.
“She immediately began running cold water on the kids’ burns,” Concialdi said.
Running cold water on a fresh burn slows the injury process, he said.