Floyd Mayweather camp spoke with Earl Hayes soon before shootings: source


A law enforcement source has confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that Floyd Mayweather’s camp “had conversations with” rapper Earl Hayes shortly before the apparent murder-suicide of Hayes and wife Stephanie Moseley.

Investigators are gathering electronic records in the incident, the source said.

LAPD Lt. John Ratke said detectives were seeking to question Mayweather about any discussions he or his associates had had with Hayes the day of the shootings.


TMZ reported Monday night that Mayweather was on a FaceTime video link with Hayes when the shootings occurred. The Times has not confirmed this information.

Moseley was a dancer and reality-TV personality on the VH1 cheerleader show “Hit the Floor.” Hayes was a rapper and close friend of Mayweather and reportedly was once signed with the boxer’s label Philthy Rich Records.

Relatives and friends of rapper Hayes and his reality-star wife said they were stunned in the aftermath of the couple’s death Monday.

Autopsies for Hayes, 34, and Stephanie Elyse Moseley, 30, aren’t expected for at least another day, a Los Angeles County coroner’s official said Tuesday. And it will be up to the medical examiner whether a toxicology screening will be conducted on either body, she said.

In a statement, VH1 mourned Moseley’s death.

“VH1 and the entire ‘Hit the Floor’ family send our thoughts and condolences to her family and friends in this difficult time,” the network said in a statement.

The dancer’s friend Eva Marcille Pigford told KTLA that the couple had typical issues but nothing that would have led to violence.


“Stephanie was an absolute angel. She really was,” Pigford told the news outlet. “She brought so many people into my life. She’s connected so many people. She’s just loved. She will never, ever, ever, ever be forgotten.”

Burrell Wilks, who said he was Hayes’ best friend, was outside the couple’s apartment Monday. Friends of the pair are reeling from the loss, he said.

“No one seen this coming — because, again, Hayes is not a violent guy,” Wilks told KTLA. “We’re all devastated. We’re at a loss for words on this one.”

On Monday, Los Angeles police received calls about 7:30 a.m. that shots had been fired and a woman was screaming in the apartment in the 300 block of Hauser Boulevard in the city’s Fairfax neighborhood, LAPD Officer Jack Richter said. SWAT officers were summoned after the incident turned into a barricade situation.

When officers arrived, they heard additional gunshots and rushed into the apartment. There they found Hayes’ and Moseley’s bodies.

Twitter: @VeronicaRochaLA, @JosephSerna