Suspect in Orange County freeway standoff is charged with 8 felonies
A man accused of carrying drugs and hitting two cars during an hours-long police chase from Compton to Anaheim last week was charged Monday with eight felonies and two misdemeanors, prosecutors said.
John Raymond Lopez, 25, was arrested Thursday after fleeing police who had tried to stop the black Mercedes-Benz he was driving because it was suspected of being involved in a shooting in Compton.
Instead of stopping, Lopez sped off, prosecutors said. He hit at least two cars and injured one driver as he sped toward Anaheim on the 91 Freeway, authorities said.
For the record, 10:03 a.m., May 10: An earlier version of this post and its headline said Lopez was charged with 10 felonies. He was charged with eight felonies.
The California Highway Patrol eventually got the car to stop after it drove over a spike strip. The subsequent standoff lasted for hours and ended only when police fired tear gas into the car and pulled Lopez out, officials said.
He was carrying drugs and the car had been rented to someone else, authorities said.
On Monday, Lopez was charged with two counts of transporting a controlled substance for sale, one count each of possession of a cocaine base, possession of a controlled substance, assault with a deadly weapon, fleeing a peace officer while driving recklessly, driving a vehicle without consent, hit and run causing injury, hit and run causing property damage, and driving with a suspended license from a previous DUI.
He was previously convicted of assaulting a peace officer and faces up to seven years in prison on the current charges, prosecutors said.
Lopez is being held in lieu of $110,000 bail. His arraignment is scheduled for May 10.
For breaking California news, follow @JosephSerna.
The view from Sacramento
For reporting and exclusive analysis from bureau chief John Myers, get our California Politics newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.