Exploding e-cigarette: Man burned; bed set on fire
A Santa Ana man suffered burns to his face Monday after an electronic cigarette he was smoking exploded, sending shrapnel flying throughout his room and lighting his bed on fire, authorities said.
The man, described as being in his 20s, was treated for flash burns to his face and hand, which was cut during the blast, said Capt. Steve Concialdi of the Orange County Fire Authority.
“It was like a bomb that exploded in his face,” Concialdi said.
The man was smoking a modified e-cigarette about 1:45 a.m. inside his bedroom in the 100 block of MacArthur Boulevard, when it started humming, Concialdi said.
As he quickly pulled the cigarette from his face, it exploded, authorities said.
Concialdi said the powerful explosion sent pieces of the battery-operated device flying with one bit lodged in his bedroom ceiling. The bed, which was covered in clothing, burst in flames.
Last month, authorities said an Anaheim Hills teen was burned when an e-cigarette he was using exploded. In San Diego, a man was hospitalized Feb. 8 after an e-cigarette exploded inside his smoke shop.
Concialdi said e-cigarette users should avoid overcharging their devices, which could cause them to overheat.
For breaking news in California, follow @VeronicaRochaLA
The stories shaping California
Get up to speed with our Essential California newsletter, sent six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.