‘Suge’ Knight says in court he can’t see or ‘comprehend’ what’s happening


Rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight was transported to a jail infirmary Monday after saying in court that he couldn’t “really comprehend” what was happening.

Earlier in the day, Knight, who is being held on murder and attempted-murder charges in a hit-and-run case, for the first time spoke in court, announcing that attorney David Kenner was no longer defending him. He then went on to describe his medical ailments.

Kenner was hired after Knight fired James E. Blatt, who represented him immediately after he was arrested.


Wearing an orange jumpsuit and eyeglasses, Knight asked Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge James Brandlin if he could speak, then said he couldn’t see and had lost weight.

“Since I have been here,” he said, “I’ve lost about 30 pounds.”

As he stood in front of Brandlin, he shifted back and forth.

“I can’t really see,” Knight said. “I can’t really comprehend what’s going on.”

During the hearing, Knight spoke over Brandlin as the judge spoke, prompting a sharp response. He continued to interrupt Brandlin and mumbled during the proceeding. At one point during the hearing, Knight asked for a trash can and leaned over it.

Shortly after the hearing, where Brandlin ruled that all of Knight’s future court hearings would happen in downtown L.A., Knight was transported to the infirmary. Another hearing was scheduled after the first, but Knight did not attend that proceeding.

Last month, Knight was taken to a hospital twice -- once each after two hearings related to his case. In one of the visits, he said he was suffering from stomach problems.

Knight is charged with running over two men with his car at Tam’s Burgers in Compton on Jan. 29. Terry Carter, 55, died, and Cle “Bone” Sloan, 51, was injured in the incident.

He also faces charges in a case in which prosecutors say he and comedian Katt Williams stole a camera from an independent celebrity photographer on Sept. 5, 2014.

Brandlin ordered future hearings in both cases to be held in downtown Los Angeles. Moving the case involving the camera, which had been heard at the airport courthouse, would ease stress on staff and on Knight’s transportation, he said.

For breaking news in California, follow @VeronicaRochaLA