The family of a Transportation Security Administration officer slain in a shooting at LAX has filed a claim against the city, alleging the wrongful death of Gerardo Hernandez and seeking damages in excess of $25 million.
The claim, filed April 16, can be a precursor to a civil lawsuit.
The family alleges in the claim that city agencies failed to protect Los Angeles International Airport. The claim says city employees “failed in the performance of their duties which created a dangerous lapse in security” that led to Hernandez’s death and delayed medical care to the injured.
City attorney spokesman Frank Mateljan would not comment but said his office had received the claim.
A report commissioned by Los Angeles World Airports and released last month detailed problems in communication that led to delays on the day of the shooting.
It took 33 minutes for paramedics to reach Hernandez, who was shot at the Terminal 3 screening area on the morning of Nov. 1. An autopsy concluded that Hernandez died within two to five minutes after being shot.
Hernandez, 39, was the first TSA officer killed in the line of duty.
Witnesses named in the claim include doctors at the Los Angeles County-UCLA Harbor Medical Center, where Hernandez was treated, city fire department paramedics and county coroner Assistant Chief Ed Winter.
The claim was filed by AlderLaw, P.C., on behalf of Hernandez’s widow, Ana Machuca, 14-year-old son Luis Hernandez and 11-year-old daughter Stephanie Hernandez. All have suffered “loss of love, affection, care, comfort, society, companionship and guidance of their husband and father,” the claim reads.