Sen. Harry Reid, with broken bones after fall, released from hospital

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., speaks during a news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., speaks during a news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington.
(Carolyn Kaster / Associated Press)

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid was released Friday from a Las Vegas hospital after suffering broken ribs and face bones during a fall on exercise equipment at his home, his spokeswoman said.

The 75-year-old Nevada Democrat, who was kept overnight at University Medical Center as a precautionary measure, spent the day fielding calls from colleagues, friends — and President Obama.

“The president was glad to hear the leader is doing well, and will be back in Washington this weekend,” said White House spokesman Eric Schultz.


The senator’s spokeswoman, Kristen Orthman, said Reid was “ready to get back to work.”

Reid, who will transition to minority leader when the new Republican-controlled Senate convenes next week, had been working out on an exercise machine at his home in Henderson when a resistance band broke, hitting him and causing the fall, an aide said.

The senator’s security detail took him Thursday to nearby St. Rose Dominican Hospital.

He has round-the-clock Capitol Police protection, as is standard for all congressional leaders.

Reid was later transferred to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, “where he was admitted overnight as a precaution,” his office said.

“Sen. Reid will return to Washington this weekend and be in the office Tuesday as the Senate prepares to reconvene,” the office said.

A trim grandfather who regularly exercises and has been known to appreciate yoga, Reid was feisty and sharp Thursday night, an aide said, his wry humor intact.

A few years ago, Reid suffered facial bruises and other injuries during a fall on his morning walk. About a decade earlier he had a mini-stroke, but since then he has largely appeared to be in good health.


Last month as the lame-duck session of Congress dragged on, Reid spoke longingly of his state and the home in Henderson he had not seen in months.

He and his wife had bought the house after selling his longtime home in his boyhood town of Searchlight, Nev.