With just a month to go until the election, President Trump had a busy schedule during the week the coronavirus hit home with him. Trump tweeted early Friday that he and First Lady Melania Trump had tested positive for the coronavirus.
Here’s a timeline of his travel over the past week.
- Trump announces the nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court. Two people who attended the Rose Garden ceremony — Utah Sen. Mike Lee and University of Notre Dame president John Jenkins — announce on Friday they have tested positive for the virus.
- Trump holds a campaign rally in Harrisburg, Pa., attended by thousands of supporters, many not wearing masks.
- Trump visits his golf course in Sterling, Va., and holds a late afternoon news conference in the White House briefing room.
- The president and his wife hold an early evening reception for Gold Star Families on the White House State floor.
- Trump surveys a truck produced by Lordstown Motors on the White House South Lawn at an event attended by two members of Congress and three representatives from the Lordstown, Ohio, manufacturer.
- Trump holds a Rose Garden event to announce an administration effort to distribute millions of coronavirus test kits to states. The event is attended by administration officials including Vice President Mike Pence, members of Congress and state officials.
- Trump travels to Cleveland for a 90-minute presidential debate with Democratic rival Joe Biden. The men are both tested before the debate and stand behind lecterns positioned a good distance from one another. They do not wear masks during the faceoff.
- White House aide Hope Hicks is part of a large entourage that travels to Ohio with Trump aboard Air Force One for the debate, including members of the Trump family. Trump’s adult children and senior staff do not wear masks during the debate, violating host rules.
- Trump travels to Minnesota for a fundraiser at a private home in suburban Minneapolis and an outdoor rally in Duluth.
- Hicks is among the White House aides who accompany Trump on the trip. She feels unwell on the return trip and isolates herself aboard Air Force One.
- Hicks tests positive for the coronavirus.
- Trump flies to his Bedminster resort in New Jersey for a private fundraiser. Several aides who were in proximity to Hicks scrap plans to accompany Trump.
- Trump reveals in an evening interview on Fox News that he and the first lady are being tested for the coronavirus.
- Trump tweets shortly before 1 a.m. that he and the first lady have tested positive for the virus and “will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately.”
- Dr. Sean Conley, physician to the president, releases a statement that the president and first lady “are both well at this time, and they plan to remain at home within the White House during their convalescence.”
Must-read stories from the L.A. Times
Get the day's top news with our Today's Headlines newsletter, sent every weekday morning.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.