Kings' win streak is pushed aside in 3-2 loss to Flyers in overtime

Kings' win streak is pushed aside in 3-2 loss to Flyers in overtime
Dustin Brown puts a shot on Flyers goalie Ray Emery during the first period of the Kings' 3-2 loss to Philadelphia in overtime. (Chris Szagola / Associated Press)

These were hardly the words of a relieved, undermanned team, playing a forward short and happy to secure a point in a rough building.

"We didn't have a great first [period], fought our way back into it and you kind of get the game taken away from you in overtime," Kings goalie Jonathan Quick said.


This was a subdued but simmering Quick who earned a 10-minute misconduct when he smashed and tossed his stick after Philadelphia beat the Kings, 3-2, in overtime on Tuesday night at Wells Fargo Center. Flyers forward Brayden Schenn scored at 2:36 and it was initially waved off but later ruled a good goal.

Quick and Kings Coach Darryl Sutter felt Quick was pushed into the net by Schenn.

"I know I was," Quick said. "I didn't feel. I know. That should be no goal. I don't know how it goes upstairs. Still they get it wrong. I don't know the exact ruling on that because they seem to change it every year. Usually you're not allowed to push a goalie into the net. Maybe they changed it again on us."

Sutter said less but the sentiment was the same. "It was contact, so shouldn't be a goal," he said.

The NHL's situation room released a statement, saying, in part: "The original call by the referee closest to the Kings net was 'no goal' but after the four on-ice officials huddled, the call on the ice was changed to 'good goal.' Video review supported the final on-ice decision that the puck crossed the Kings goal line on the original shot by Brayden Schenn."

That wasn't much solace for the Kings, who suffered their first defeat in seven games. They have not lost in regulation since the season opener and were forced to play with only 11 forwards, instead of the usual 12, unable to bring up a minor leaguer to step in for Anze Kopitar, who has an upper-body injury. Kopitar is expected back shortly.

Tuesday's events occurred because of salary-cap issues and the fact that recently suspended defenseman Slava Voynov's salary still counts against the Kings' cap total. Voynov was suspended indefinitely by the NHL last week after his arrest on suspicion of domestic violence and is still getting paid.

The Kings were too close to the salary cap to recall a player and had been trying to craft an agreement with the NHL and the NHL Players Assn. Kings General Manager Dean Lombardi called the situation a "political football," to describe the Voynov situation and said the escrow issues prevented a solution.

"It's one thing for the player to have to pay the penalty," Lombardi said. "It's another thing for 19 other guys to have to go out there short-handed tonight."

And Sutter shortened the bench even more, essentially going with three lines the final two periods. He did not use forwards Andy Andreoff or Jordan Nolan in the third and not much in the second. Andreoff played one shift in the second. At the other end of it, Kings defenseman Drew Doughty logged nearly 30 minutes of ice time.

"We had a left winger out, a centerman out, a right winger out and a defenseman out," said Sutter. "So that's a quarter of our lineup."

The Kings twice rallied to get the game to overtime. Tyler Toffoli's breakaway, a short-handed effort, came at 13:08 of the first period and center Mike Richards, a former Flyer, scored at 5:01 of the third period for his first regular-season goal since March 25.

Follow Lisa Dillman on Twitter @reallisa