Andy Reid’s son, Garrett, died of heroin overdose, coroner says
Garrett Reid, the late son of Philadelphia Eagles Coach Andy Reid, died of an accidental heroin overdose, Northampton (Pa.) County Coroner Zachary Lysek said Thursday.
The coroner said a toxicology test confirmed the presence of heroin in the body of the 29-year-old recovering drug addict who had been trying to turn his life around.
Reid was found dead Aug. 5 in a dorm room at Lehigh University, where he had been assisting the Eagles’ strength and conditioning coach during training camp.
Inside the room, investigators found a used syringe and spoon, as well as a gym bag filled with 47 syringes and 65 needles.
“We are confident today that Mr. Reid’s death was the result of a self-injected lethal dose of heroin,” Dist. Atty. John Morganelli said at a news conference in Easton.
The announcement made official the cause of death Andy Reid had hinted at shortly after his son’s passing, when he said Garrett Reid had “lost the battle that has been ongoing for the last eight years.”
Get our high school sports newsletter
Prep Rally is devoted to the SoCal high school sports experience, bringing you scores, stories and a behind-the-scenes look at what makes prep sports so popular.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.