Is Leap Day the new Cyber Monday? Companies are using Monday as a time to offer special rates and one-day flash sales that can be booked only on Feb. 29.
Here are six I like, but feel free to browse to find more deals.
1. Hard Rock Cafe: Restaurants across the U.S. are offering those born on Feb. 29 (yes, you must show a valid ID) a free entree from a Leaplings Eat Free menu. Hard Rock’s Legendary Burger and Twisted Mac, Chicken & Cheese are being served as well as a Veggie Leggie for the meatless Monday crowd.
2. Intrepid Travel: Leap Day shoppers can save 25% off trips to Italy, Spain, Portugal and Poland with this travel company based in Petaluma, Calif. You can preview the trips on the flash sale page.
Some examples, before the discount: eight days in Spain starting at $958, four-day sailing trips from Italy’s Amalfi Coast starting at $810 and a Rome-to-Paris tour starting at $4,260. Use the promotion code 20581; you must travel by Sept. 30. Info: 24-Hour Leap Day Sale
3. Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City: This is the kind of crazy-good birthday promotions I like. Leap Year babies pay their true age — if you’re 40, you are really only 10 years old — for a room. That’s right, $10 a night at this Kimpton boutique hotel.
Your stay includes morning coffee and tea, evening social hour, free Wi-Fi and reward points. You must stay by March 31 and show a valid ID upon arrival.
For those who happen to be in Salt Lake City on Monday, you can swing by the hotel for a Leap Day birthday party (open to all) with Champagne and cake between 5 and 7 p.m. Info: Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City Leap Year Birthday
4. Embassy Row Hotel: Book two nights on Feb. 29 at this Dupont Circle hotel in Washington, D.C., and you get a third night free. You’ll also get a $50 credit to use for valet parking or food and drink at the hotel’s eateries. This hotel belongs in the Destination Hotels family too. Info: Embassy Row Hotel
5. Royal Caribbean International: The cruise line’s Leap Day Sale promises 30% off current fares on every ship, which means you save on cruises in the Caribbean, Alaska and Europe. In addition, passengers can enjoy half-off deposits and on-board credits of up to $100 per cabin.
(Note: This is the cruise line whose Anthem of the Seas in mid-February sailed into an East Coast storm and was turned back after being battered at sea. At least one passenger has filed suit against the company, according to media reports.)
The offer applies to cruises leaving on or after March 28; act quickly, the sale ends Monday. Info: Royal Caribbean International, (866) 562-7625, or contact a travel agent
6. Friendly Planet Travel: If the Middle East is on your travel list this year, you might consider a trip to Dubai. The Dazzling Dubai package from Friendly Planet includes round-trip Los Angeles-Dubai airfare and four nights in hotels starting at $1,299.
You can tour the city or add on excursions to the desert and nearby Abu Dhabi. Sale ends at 9 p.m. Pacific time Monday (midnight on the East Coast). Info: Friendly Planet Travel’s Dazzling Dubai, (800) 555-5765