7 hospitalized after smoke fills cabin during flight from Oakland to Hawaii

Flight emergency
An image taken from video shows a Hawaiian Airlines jet after an emergency landing in Honolulu on Thursday.
(Hawaii News)

Seven people were taken to the hospital Thursday after smoke filled the cabin of a Hawaiian Airlines flight from California to Hawaii.

Hawaiian Airlines said 184 passengers and seven crew members used evacuation slides to get off the plane after it declared an in-flight emergency and landed in Honolulu.

Jon Snook, Hawaiian Airlines’ chief operating officer, said smoke was first detected on Hawaiian Airlines Flight 47 from Oakland about 20 minutes before landing as the plane began to descend.


American Medical Response spokesman James Ireland said a total of 11 patients had breathing complaints and seven were taken to the hospital with respiratory problems.

Ireland said the youngest patient taken to the hospital was a 9-month-old. He said an older child was also hospitalized. The other patients were adults. All injuries were considered minor.

One person was examined at the scene for injuries sustained during the evacuation.

Snook said there was visible smoke in the cabin and a smoke indication alarm in the cargo hold set off a warning in the cockpit, which prompted the emergency landing. He said there were no visible flames anywhere on the plane.

An automatic fire suppression system was activated in the cargo hold, Snook said.

He said smoke was still prevalent in the cabin after the plane landed, which is why the passengers were ordered to use the slides to evacuate the aircraft.

Shuttles took passengers, who left their luggage behind, to a staging area at the airport. Snook said Hawaiian Airlines is refunding passengers for the cost of their round-trip tickets and will give passengers a voucher for future travel.

“It’s going to take a little bit of time to get the bags released from the aircraft. Obviously we want to be sure that we understand what the source of the smoke was, and one possibility of course is that the bags may have been a source,” Snook said. “We have no evidence to suggest that right now, but we want to be cautious about taking the bags off.”


Snook thanked the crew and passengers for evacuating in an orderly way “in what could have been a complex and dangerous situation.”

Snook said the National Transportation Safety Board would be notified and conduct an investigation. The Federal Aviation Administration will also investigate, said spokesman Allen Kenitzer.

Firefighters said it took passengers just 30 to 45 seconds to exit the aircraft. A few had minor bruises from coming down the slides, said Glenn Mitchell, the airport’s fire chief.